Contingency planning and home worker resources
If you are in the process of planning for your workforce to work from home please read the following information.
Last updated 24 March 2020
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic we have been getting a lot of our customer’s end-users contacting the Service Desk asking to be set-up to work from home. The service desk is not authorized to make changes to enable home working without the proper approval from your organisation. If you are a primary contact we kindly ask that you help to ensure that requests for things like working from home, VPN connections or remote access are coordinated within your business. By engaging with your account manager we will be able to complete a planned set of activities rather than processing individual requests from your staff, this also reduces the need to chase you for approvals on multiple tickets.
Whilst a lot of our customers have had to make quick decisions on how their staff can continue to work from home it is vital that information security isn’t forgotten, cyber criminals are already targeting home workers as well as those worried about the impact of Coronavirus on their businesses. As a reminder the following are the only two supported ways your staff should access your company data when working remotely…
- Only use company issued equipment to access your network and resources via VPN
- Use of personal laptops and PCs should be restricted to Remote Desktop Gateway and Terminal Servers only, you should not connect personal devices to your VPN
Your Zenzero account manager will be contacting you over the next few weeks to review your company’s security posture and to help with any longer-term planning as it is critical that any IT changes are properly reviewed, planned and implemented.
Please also note that…
- Not all changes will be quick to implement
- Not all business applications (e.g. Sage) or IT resources are suitable for accessing from home
- If you have an existing remote access solution or staff already work remotely on an ad hoc basis, please remember this solution will not necessarily scale to allow your entire business to work from home
- There may be costs relating to changing your IT configurations, or in implementing additional licenses to enable home working for your staff
- There is a global shortage of IT equipment, especially laptops, so you may not be able to buy suitable equipment in time to meet your contingency needs
- The shortage is also impacting lead-times for new user equipment so keep this in mind if you are recruiting
If you are the primary contact at a Zenzero customer and you haven’t already spoken with us please contact your Account Manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are an end-user at one of Zenzero’s customers please visit this page for information on remote working https://zenzero.co.uk/remote-working/.